Encountering the error message api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing can be frustrating, as it indicates that a critical system file required by certain applications is not present on your computer. The DLL file in question belongs to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and is essential for running programs that depend on it. Resolving this error involves several potential solutions, outlined below:
- Install Windows Updates: Keeping your operating system up to date is crucial. Microsoft regularly releases updates that include important system files. Go to the Windows Update settings and check for any available updates. Install them and restart your computer. This may resolve the missing DLL error.
- Install the Visual C++ Redistributable Package: The missing DLL file is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable package. Visit the official Microsoft website and download the appropriate version of the package for your system architecture 32-bit or 64-bit. Run the installer and follow the instructions to complete the installation. Afterward, restart your computer and check if the error persists.
- Repair or Reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable: If you already have the Visual C++ Redistributable package installed, it may be corrupted. In such cases, go to the Control Panel, navigate to Programs and Features, and locate the Visual C++ Redistributable in the list of installed programs. Right-click on it and choose the Repair option. If the repair does not solve the issue, uninstall the redistributable, restart your computer, and reinstall it using the latest version available from the Microsoft website.
- Perform a System File Check: Use the System File Checker SFC tool to scan and repair any corrupted system files, including DLLs. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and enter the command sfc /scannow without quotes. Wait for the scan to complete, restart your computer, and check if the error persists.
- Reinstall the Problematic Application: If the error message appears when running a specific application, try reinstalling that application. First, uninstall it from the Control Panel, then restart your computer, and finally reinstall the latest version from the official source or the original installation media api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll download.
- Seek Professional Assistance: If the above steps do not resolve the issue or if you are not comfortable performing advanced troubleshooting, it is recommended to seek assistance from Microsoft support or a professional IT technician. They can provide specialized guidance and help diagnose and fix the problem.
Resolving the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error involves ensuring your system is up to date, installing the necessary Visual C++ Redistributable package, repairing or reinstalling the package if necessary, performing a system file check, and considering a clean installation of the problematic application if applicable. By following these steps or seeking professional help, you can overcome this error and restore the functionality of your applications.